So, this week I thought we would look at famines in the Bible. Currently, I am studying (and posting) the book of Ruth. At the beginning of this book we find that Naomi and her family initially moved to Moab due to a famine in their hometown of Bethlehem.
But, this particular famine is not the only one we read about in the Bible. Here are some others.....
* A famine caused Jacob's sons to go to Egypt to buy grain. It is there there they re-unite with their brother Joseph. (Genesis 41:56-42:6)
* Elijah the prophet told of the message he received from God that rain would be withheld from Israel because of the sin's of the people. A famine was the result of the long period of time without rain. (1 Kings 17)
* Famine came to the city of Jerusalem when the Babylonians beseiged the city. (2 Kings 25:1-3)
* During the time of the New Testament, there was a famine in Palestine as had been predicted by the prophet Agabus. (Acts 11:28)
* In the book of Revelation we find "famine" pictured as one of the four horsemen that stalks the earth just before the return of Jesus. (Revelation 6:5-8)
Now that you are armed with info regarding famine in the Bible.. go out and enjoy your weekend! I know... you just couldn't have moved forward without all that info, could you now? :)
Seriously, though, may you all have a great weekend spending time with family and friends and full of many blessings from God!