Friday Facts - Odds and Ends

|
This week I've got an "odds and ends" listing of Friday Facts. I found these unrelated facts regarding scriptures in the Bible, customs during Bible times and some mistakes made at times when the Bible has been printed.

My one question on these is this.... on the one about how long it would take to read the Bible thru.. do you think someone actually tried that? Wow... I can't even imagine reading aloud for that long! I think these types of trivia are why I like this kind of information so very much. It is just sometimes simply amazing that someone even tried to figure it out. :) I also like the one about the year long honeymoon... how great would that be?!



The shortest prayer in the Bible is Peter's : "Lord save me!"
"But seeing the wind, he became afraid, and beginning to sink, he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!" Matthew 14:30

Old Testament books were scrolls, a strip of animal skin that was rolled up on two sticks. One ancient copy of the book of Isaiah is twenty-four feet long.

When friends took a stroll together, they walked single file, not side-by-side.

At an everage pace one can read the Bible out loud in seventy hours and forty minutes.

In 1631 an English Bible printer forgot the NOT in one of the Ten Commandments. Here's how his mistake in Exodus 20:14 read: "Thou shalt commit adultry." Because of this colossal goof, the edition became known as The Wicked Bible, and the printer had to pay a large fine.

An edition of the Bible printed at Cambridge , England in 1653 contained the following printer's error: "know ye not that the unrighteous shall inherit the kingdom of God?" (1 Corinthians 6:9).

Newlyweds were commanded by God to honeymoon for a solid year
"When a man takes a new wife, he shall not got out with the army, nor be charged with any duty; he shall be free at home on year and shall give happiness to his wife whom he has taken." Deuteronomy 24:5


HAPPY FRIDAY!



8 Thoughts Shared:

Freddae' said...

Thanks for sharing. I love interesting facts. Can you imagine if we walked in single file? That would feel so awkward.

Michele Williams said...

What interesting facts. Thanks for sharing.

Natalie said...

I didn't know about the shortest prayer but I did know about the shortest verse..."Jesus wept.". I love your posts on interesting facts!

Sab said...

Woo! I remember reading that 'honeymoon' bit... I think it was mentioned at our wedding... sigh... too bad we couldn't have a year long honeymoon (we may have had kids sooner, lol).
Love the interesting facts!

Van said...

I enjoyed all the interesting facts. Thanks for sharing your research.

Joan said...

Thanks for sharing those cool facts. I am always blessed by your postings.

Have a great weekend.

Addicted to Beadz said...

I love this kind of tidbit information! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Thank you for your continued prayers!

Blessings!

Cheryl

Laurie Ann said...

I always love these facts! Too funny about the misprints, and I wish that honeymoon clause was still in effect!