Friday Facts - Fun with Words #5

|
I know I have not been consistent with my Friday posts over the last month or two. Seems like some weeks I meet myself both coming and going, which doesn't make for extra time for blogging. I think we all go thru those times... blogging is great for so many reasons, but sometimes we just have to take a step back... sometimes drop back a post a week or take a complete break for a few weeks.


So, anyway.... on to this week's post. I thought I'd go back to a theme I started a few months ago where I look at the meaning of words that are found in the Bible. Words that maybe we aren't familiar with (or, at least, I am not familiar with) and provide a little info on them.

Here are the words for today:

Ague

"I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it. " Leviticus 26:16

What does this word mean? Ague is an Old English word that means "fever".


Seething Pot

"Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as [out] of a seething pot or caldron." Job 41:20

Any idea what this words means? A seething pot was a large vessel that was used for boiling provisions.


Firkin

"And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece." John 2:6

What might a firkin be? It was a measure for liquids of about 8 7/8 gallons of water. Or, about the equivalent of a bath.



I pray you all have a wonderful weekend... full of laughter, relaxation, fun, worship, and joy!


3 Thoughts Shared:

Laurie Ann said...

I love these!

Stop by my blog when you get a chance, I have a little something for you.

Joan said...

Have a great weekend!

Blessings

Beth E. said...

Got an ague? Put two or three firkins in a seething pot, ease in, and sweat those germs right out! ;o)

Praying you have a wonderful weekend!