Friday Facts - More Fun with Words

|
Well, I must just first say this, "You guys crack me up!"

Last Friday I shared a few words and their meanings and then challenged you to use them in a sentence. The sentences you left in my comments just had me in stitches. If you missed any of these, check out the comments from
this post.

If you all keep this up, we may have to continue with these "word" posts until I just can't find anymore words to share. ;)

Here are the words for this week:

Inkhorn

This word is used in Ezekial 9:2 - "And suddenly six men came from the direction of the upper gate, which faces north, each with his battle-ax in his hand. One man among them was clothed with linen and had a writer's inkhorn at his side. They went in and stood beside the bronze altar."

The meaning? An inkhorn is a round vessel or cup for containing ink. It was usually worn by writers on their clothing at their waist. They got their name because in earlier times ink was contained in horns.


Cotes

We find this word used in 2 Chronicles 32:28 - "Storehouses also for the increase of corn, and wine, and oil; and stalls for all manner of beasts, and cotes for flocks."

It is a pen or enclosure for flocks.


Sackbut

This word can be found in Daniel 3:5 - "[That] at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king hath set up:

This word is a a Syrian stringed instrument resembling a harp.

So, is anyone up to the same challenge as last week? Can you use one or all of these words in a sentence? I'll be watching my comments closely. ;)



7 Thoughts Shared:

Joan said...

Too early in the am to be making me do homework, lol!

These are great, Melanie.
Have a blessed weekend!

Shelby said...

Okay, this is lame but I'm game (hey, it's Friday, my brain's on the weekend already) --

I listened to the music from the sackbut (I love that word) as I dipped my pen into the inkhorn to inscribe the cotes with my name.

See? Lame....

This is too cool, Melanie!

Laurie Ann said...

I love learning definitions for new words. These are great!

Me: Steve, if you leave your sackbut in the cote again I'm pulling out the inkhorn and writing your Momma!

Steve: Do what?

Sab said...

"Dearest Charles, I'm pulling out my inkhorn to tell you that I'd love to leart the sackbut during all that time you spend in the cote...
Sincerely, your wife"

Ooh... do I get a gold star?

Beth E. said...

Sackbut....I came up with an entirely different meaning of that word on my own, before I read your definition!!! ;o)

Marsha said...

Those pants I bought at WalMart make me look like I have a sackbut.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Well apparently my brain is not functioning well enough to come up with something clever to say this morning. So instead I'll just tell you how much I enjoyed this information. If I ever come across these words again, I'll know what they mean. Thank you :o)

Take care my friend!
I hope you are having a great Sunday!