3 John 1:13-14

|
"I had many things to write to you, but I am not willing to write them to you with pen and ink; but I hope to see you shortly, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to you. The friends greet you. Greet the friends by name." 3 John 1:13-14

These are the last two verses in the book of 3 John. John's closing comments to the church to which he was writing in this letter.

In sharing these verses, I want to share directly from one of the commentaries that I use when studying scripture, Enduring Word. I cannot think of a better way to express my own thoughts outside of what they have written here.

On the phrase The friends greet you -- "In addition to a familiar blessing of peace upon Gaius, John also reminded him (and us) of the common ties of Christians - even if they are separated by miles, they are still friends in Jesus, and appropriately they should greet one another."

On the phrase Peace to you --- "This is a letter about contention and conflict; yet John appropriately ends the letter with a desire and expectation for peace. As Christians, we can and should have a sense of peace even in the midst of difficult times. Christians have the resources in Jesus Christ to have peace even in unsettled times."

How comforting these words are for the time in which we are living. Not only should we desire peace, but we should EXPECT peace. As Christians, we can KNOW there will always be peace as followers of Christ. Even in the midst of many difficulties there will always be peace. And, if that wasn't enough, we can also know that we ALWAYS have Christian brothers and sisters that are praying for us, supporting us, and seeking Christ right along with us.

Oh, how thankful I am for the peace I find daily in Christ. What comfort that brings to me as I walk this road on which I travel each day.

Thank you, Lord, for your peace and the comfort it provides each and every day!

5 Thoughts Shared:

Tonya said...

Melanie,

I LOVED this post! I totally agree. No matter WHAT is going on around us, the circumstances we may be in, we can have PEACE in ANY situation as long as we have CHRIST.

Now, I think you should DEFINITELY join in next week's, "Not Me!, Monday". It's a lot of fun!!! =-)

Okay, I'll go for now. One of the boys has a question for me. ;-)

Laurie Ann said...

I absolutely loved this post. We can have peace in all circumstances, can't we? I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts on these letters.

Tricia said...

I too am thankful for the peace I find in Christ! How wonderful is the peace of God, thanks for sharing!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

i believe peace that comes from Jesus is very important to keep our sanity intact in times of uncertainty. i thank God for His peace. God bless you, melanie. ♥

Aunt Angie said...

Thank you Melanie for your sweet comment on my LWG post today!
I WISH you lived closer and could join us for our Sisters of Faith Retreat! What a time we would have!!!

You are such a blessing in my life! Love you girl!