The First of the Four Habits of a Disciple

|
Habit One: Daily Time With God

Why is it important to have a daily time with God?

We were created to have a fellowship with God.
"So God created man in his own image..." Genesis 1:27, 2:7, 3:8

Jesus died to make a relationship with God possible.
"God has invited you into this wonderful friendship with his Son, Christ our Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:9

Personal time alone with God was Jesus' source of strength.
"Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." Mark 1:3

Every effective disciple developed this habit.

Healthy, maturing Christians spend time with God.
"...I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food." Job 23:12


What is the purpose of a daily time with God?

We are to give glory to God. (being grateful)
Give to the Lord the glory due to his name. Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness." Psalms 29:2

We receive direction from God.
"Show me the path where I should go, O Lord; point out the right road for me to walk. Lead me." Psalms 25:4

We learn to delight in God.
Delight yourself in the Lord; and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalms 37:4


This was taken from a Discipleship Study my husband and I recently participated in at our church. I thought it was such great stuff that I just had to share!

7 Thoughts Shared:

Paula V said...

When I hear the question what is the purpose of spending time with God or why is it important, I always relate it to our other relationships. For us to develop our relationships with our family, friends, etc. we must spend time with them. Now granted, "time" may be in the form of emails with this day and age and with our new blogging friends. But time is a necessity for all relationships. So, it's only natural to know that we must spend time with God to better get to know Him and to develop our faith-based relationship.

Thanks for this reminder and insight.
Paula

Simply Dawn said...

This is something I need to do more and more of. More time alone with God. He wants me to and to be honest....I NEED IT!

Love your post!

Laurie Ann said...

Great post, Melanie. So true. The importance and purpose of spending time with God were very well presented, and I love the verses you used. God bless you for sharing your heart with us.

Joan said...

I still am in awe of a "god" as big as our GOD wanting to spend time with 'soon to be little' ole me. Still boggles the mind. But I'm so happy that He does. Thanks for reminding us that we need it daily.
Have a good one!

Tricia said...

A great post... what spoke to me the most is that God created us for fellowship with Him, isn't that just mind boggling - that the Creator of this world would desire fellowship with us!

I also like the fact that we draw strength from our time with Him. I have found that to be so true in my life... my time in the Word and in fellowship with my God, whether thru prayer or just praising Him, always strengthens me.

Blessings

God Chaser said...

great post I do need to spend more time in His presence and striving to make it my daily goal. Thanks for the encouragment as always.
God bless

mama2dibs said...

Mmmmmm, such a hard habit to come by, yet so beautiful when you are willing to take the time.